Search

Polygon Unit Favorite Materials from Teachers Pay Teachers

I have just finished teaching polygons in my geometry class.

Here is a list of my top 5 materials that I liked for teaching polygons:

1)Teaching the Formulas for Interior Angles and Diagonals - This would be a great introduction to the formulas for interior angles and number of diagonals.  I liked this one the best.  It includes a chart that students can fill out, but also helps them see where the formula for the sum of interior angles is coming from.

2)Polygon Person Project - I think this is a cute idea for a project.  Students choose polygons to make a person and then must calculate the area of their person.

3)Polygon Domino Game - I think this is a good idea for a game that could be used for review before the polygon test.  Students work problems on each domino and then must match them in order to play.

4)Polygon Math Song - Although I did not try this myself, I think it is a great idea to have songs that students can use to remember various math concepts.  I didn't find this until after I was done with the unit, but I think I will try this next year!

5)Geometry Polygon Puzzle - Dinosaur Theme - Finally, this is my own puzzle that I made for students.  It is great for a review of sum of interior angles, sum of exterior angles, number of diagonals, names of polygons, and finding how big EACH interior or exterior angle is.  I find that students really need to be encouraged to READ during this section.  Many times, they will answer the wrong question - for example if I ask them how many sides, they will answer hexagon instead of 6!  This puzzle has a dinosaur theme.  I tried it in my classroom.  It took about 15 minutes for students working in groups.

No comments

Post a Comment