Thursday, April 4, 2013

Questions about Copyright issues when Using iBooks Author

I have lots of questions concerning iBooks author.  As I mentioned previously, my school is thinking of having students purchase their own iPad and then using one for all of their classes.  It is definitely not a done deal - there are lots and lots of issues to address.

One of my major questions is what are we going to use the iPads for?  I mean they are great...I use mine ALL the TIME!  I see how I can use it to project things and write on it while I am lecturing, but will those things really improve student learning?  There is an article I read that said that for student learning to really improve, the school should have specific goals that they are trying to address and then be sure to try to see how the iPads can be used to address those goals.  Handing kids an iPad and saying have at it does not make them a better learner...

But I digress from my main purpose of this post...

Specifically, let's focus on geometry for an example.  I would like to write my own iBook so that my students no longer have to purchase a textbook.  I would like to use iBooks Author to make my book, so students can obtain the book through iTunesU or through the iBookstore, however that is going to work.

But, the big question that is at hand...what can I legally put in my book?  We currently use the book Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge which I love.  I'd like to be able to use problems from that book in my book...is that fair use?  I'd like to be able to use various Texas Instruments explorations that students could download to their calculator.  Can I put those in my book, can I link to them, What???  Since the kids will have basically a computer in their hand, is it ok for me to link to youtube videos to show them a cool thing that other kids did for pi day?  Can I embed the actual video?

I welcome your comments on this post.  Stay tuned for answers that I find to these questions.




1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and look forward to seeing great things from your blog!

    I teach ELA and currently my students all have their own laptops. This is the first year this is done. It has definitely been an interesting year incorporating technology into lessons.

    In terms of your questions, the best and most fun way is to do it with a group of math people. Each come up with their own set of problems. You can definitely link the Texas Instruments Exploration -- does not hurt to email the company though and I am sure they will be elated by the request since it helps give their downloads exposure. Youtube should definitely be okay! Again, just shoot an email and make sure you cite the author/producer of the video.


    When you have a chance, hop over to my blog! My most recent post discusses a blog hop that will be held on May 4th by a fellow blogger, Kristy. If you are interested, definitely check that out! The more people we get to do the blog hop, the more exposure!

    Colleen
    Bergin's Classroom

    ReplyDelete