Saturday, August 10, 2013

Homework...the eternal question...

Homework - I feel like math students need homework - they need to practice things I have taught them.  They need to try it on their own without watching me do it.  How many of us have had students say - I totally get it when you do it, but I am really stuck on my own.

But, for most students, in order for them to do it, I need to grade it - at least somehow.  I suppose that's fair enough - they put in the effort, I should reinforce their effort by recognizing it.  But, they hate doing it...they copy...they do just enough to get by.  How do I get kids to recognize that practice is important and give it their all like this...


and not like this...



And the truth is...I hate going over homework.  I don't mind explaining things that kids that really tried didn't get, but I hate reading all the answers and then doing problems for people that didn't try anyway. Ughh...it's a struggle.

What I usually do is walk around the room and give students 5 points for having an attempt at every problem in front of them.  If they don't do their homework at all, I give them 0 out of 5 points.  They can earn somewhere between 0 and 5 points by having some of their homework.  I like this method because it rewards kids for doing it without me having to collect a whole bunch of papers that I don't really have a lot of time to deal with every single day.  However, it also doesn't separate out the kids that copied and the kids that actually did everything.  I have always figured that the kids that actually do  the homework will do better on test day and it will all get separated out in the end.

So, I put the question to you blog readers...help me get the year started right.  How do you encourage and deal with homework in your middle or high school math classroom?

5 comments:

  1. I have posted about how I do homework several times.
    I agree students NEED it, parents also WANT it, at least the ones I talk to do.
    It's a lot though when you see so many students and have only 40-55 minute classes.
    I do hw 3x a week, Mon, Tues, and Thurs.
    Homework is short 5-10 questions
    I go over hw the next day, but only a few problems
    Students who do not return hw, sign a no hw binder and lose 5 points for each missing hw assignment
    After 3 missing assignments, THEY call home and tell their parents they are missing assignments
    I accept late hw for -1 point.
    Students receive a daily grade at end of six weeks.

    here's one post I wrote: http://hodgesherald.blogspot.com/2013/02/ms-funday-sunday-homework.html

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  2. We totally changed how we did homework last year and LOVED it...here's my post: http://livelovemath.blogspot.com/2013/05/my-thoughts-on-homework.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I do homework similar to you. I give homework (usually no more than 10 problems) Monday through Thursday. While they are doing the warmup, I walk around and check homework. My hw is worth 25 points, though, and I give them one HW grade a week. I give either 0, 15, or 25 points per assignment. Fifteen points if they didn't complete all of it, but have more than 1/2 completed. I tell them from day one, that in order to get any credit, they have to show work!

    This seems to work well for me.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Math is not an easy subject for most people. That's the reason why it's quite a challenge to have high school math/high school mathematics tutoring. But there are really patient tutors that could help you out when you want some help understanding the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We Hold our Tutors to a Higher Standard, and Pay our Tutors More Fairly, than nearly any other Tutoring Company.Thus, we have Better (and more Experienced) Tutors.We accept only the top tutor applicants, and will never compromise our selectivity in order to artificially inflate our ranks. In addition, every member of the Team is required to have recently scored in the 95th percentile or above on any standardized test that he/she teaches.Math Tutor Austin, Math Tutor Atlanta, Math Tutor Houston, Math Tutor Seattle.
    Science Tutor Las Vegas | Math Tutor Hawaii | Math Tutor Las Vegas | Tutor for kids Las Vegas | Math Tutor Charlotte | Math Tutor Phoenix | Math Tutor Los Angeles | Math Tutor Boston | Math Tutor New York | Math Tutor Denver | Math Tutor Chicago |

    ReplyDelete